hosted by thefriskycom
I love this idea I think that everyone should make their own list. If you make one send it in and I’ll happily post it!!!
* * * * *
When legendary sex symbol Bo Derek appeared on Oprah a few months ago, Oprah kept pressing her to tell the world something profound about being a beautiful woman, and Bo kept brushing off the questions, saying, “It’s just about the way the bones line up.” That felt pretty profound to me. In our culture, the standard of beauty is narrow, and every day we face countless reminders of the ways we fall short. When it comes down it, though, our society’s definition of beauty is simple and unromantic: it’s high cheekbones and a button nose and long legs and a small waist and so on and so on. We can only congratulate or punish ourselves so many times for the way our bones line up. Here are 50 vastly different definitions of beauty that I know to be true…
1. It is beautiful to speak another language. It is beautiful to try.
2. Beauty is long hair, and short hair; brown, black, pink, yellow, or white. Beauty is a smooth bald head.
3. If you have been to hell and back, your resilience is beautiful.
4. Asking questions—especially “why?”—is always beautiful. Why? Because curiosity is beautiful.
5. You are beautiful when you are afraid to do something, and you do it anyway.
6. Flat stomachs are beautiful, sure, but big, soft bellies are beautiful, too.
7. If you can string words together into a sentence, and you’re brave enough to let someone else read it, that’s beautiful.
8. Beauty is putting paint on canvas, or strumming a guitar, or baking bread, or dancing with your eyes closed.
9. Creating is always beautiful.
10. Your bare face in the morning is beautiful. Ask the person who loves you. It’s true.
11. Beauty is the slightly horrifying realization that you still remember all the lyrics to your favorite song from 6th grade.
12. Remember the time your best friend called you crying? Because only your voice could calm her down? That was beautiful.
13. Beauty is laughing so hard your eyes are watering and your stomach hurts and you’re yelling, “Stop, stop! Seriously, I’m peeing!” (Yes. Peeing your pants can be beautiful.)
14. Beauty is telling a teenage girl that she’s going to be OK.
15. Beauty is calling someone out for saying something hurtful, even if you weren’t the one getting hurt.
continue the list